Blog Archive

Tuesday 19 March 2024

Train Monster

 You might sense some hostility in the picture. Trains are usually a lot of fun. Usually. Here are some of my not-so-great experiences coming back from Phillip Island.  A week ago, the return train ended before my town, and I was stranded at night. I slept in the local park, on a board walk lookout. I had my sleeping bag and travel mattress so no biggie. The next day the linking coach ('train replacement') driver refused to take my bike and I had to wait for the next bus which had a different driver and allowed my bicycle on no problemo. In both cases there was heaps of room for bikes in the underneath compartment.  

This last trip I thought I had just narrowly got that late train that would go through to my Gippsland destination, but I could not open the doors and it left without me. Unbelievable! There was no station man to make sure passengers had no problems. I ended up getting another train which did not get to my destination. Instead I stayed with a cousin who lived halfway there. Next morning I had a few hours to wait for the train.

  The bonus though is that the last train trip did not cost me a cent as I had a free Seniors card return ticket. Even the ferry ride was free on the weekend trip. Why don't I drive? Well, because fuel is expensive and driving is boring. I can't draw while I drive. And I wouldn't meet half the people I meet. I haven't met any octopus monsters yet, except metaphorically.



No comments:

Post a Comment