Blog Archive

Sunday, 20 September 2026

A Weekend in Melbourne, Train Travel & the Geelong Zine Day

 The following drawings were made on my train trips and at the Geelong library zine day. There were some portraits I did and sold which I did not keep to put here.


You sometimes see some strange passengers on a train but I enjoyed the view of cat, bird, seal and bull - in my imagination.
                                         This lady had a lot of character so I drew her twice.
  Thee two young ladies were good subjects. The other two started s observations but became pure fictitious creations when the subjects moved off.
I loved the woman's skirt and yes, she is Scottish! She has a taste for Doc Martins. I got sloppy with the check pattern.
I spent some time sitting outside of Flinders Street Station, on the Swanston Street entrance and noticed the singing black African Christian 'missionaries'. A little juxtaposition was provided by a passing Sikh and someone photographing the front of the station. The height of the post was made shorter to include the seagull. The women expressed themselves with their hands but I realized afterwards that I made the one on the right have too long an arm.
Back to train passengers: The lady on the left loved talking and was very lively with her friends. The one on the window side was much quieter.


   The two young ladies at top left are visiting from Japan. I showed them this, they took a photo and wrote their names underneath. They said it made their day. The lady below was joyously eating an apple. The young boy at right had a mass of wavy hair.
I indulged in some whimsy below when I made the row of seats recede into a distant sea between Sun and Moon. I think I captured the character of the passengers.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment