Blog Archive

Tuesday, 25 August 2026

August Train Sketches

 I have oodles of train sketches and at some point I'll make them into a zine. The following are from my recent train trip to Melbourne and back and also around Melbourne. Some of the sketches took just 5 or less minutes with the longest closer to 15 minutes. I don't spend too long looking at subjects, either because they get off the train or because I don't want to be staring at people, which might be misconstrued! It also helps if I start on one person and then begin on another, coming back to the first not long after. Basically nearly everyone on the train is looking at a mobile device anyway so they are oblivious to much else. A few rare ones are reading books but I don't see newspapers anymore. A small number of people are talking to each other and a much smaller number looking out the window or into space. Occasionally someone is snoozing, which makes a great subject. This trip I noticed a few people wearing their football colors and raving, deliriously about the 'footy'. Some old bird enthused about how they had 'annihilated' the rival team on the weekend. Anyone would think she was out there hobbling across the field and kicking the best goal of the day. Something might have broken if she had been tackled.

  Riding on trains I find somewhat relaxing, except when they have some issue and change to coach services, which sometimes has left me stranded when the bus drivers, especially in the city, inform me they can't take bicycles and I usually have the old 'treadly' with me. it did not happen this time. There is also the occasional odd loud, obnoxious person but the no eye contact rule usually works.








No comments:

Post a Comment