Blog Archive

Sunday 11 August 2024

Chloe the Cat Sat On The Lap and a Spelling Rant

 Everyone who knows me knows I love cats. When my cat, Chloe lays on my lap she more accurately, SPAWLS. That is a sign of trust. I just admire the beauty and grace of cats, and they have always been my companions, affectionate and uncritical, unless I am late with their food!

I am not sure if I like the black frame, but it is something I sometimes add to my pictures. In this first sketch Chloe is laying on my lap as I watch TV. I have my nice comfy Ugg boots on and an old, oversized jumper which you can partially see in the foreground.


One of the best things about art is 'artistic licence'. (By the way, my spellchecker keeps telling me it is 'license', well up you spell checker 'cause I am not writing 'Merican'. As a noun in British and Australian English it is spelt the way I spell it. Mind you I do use some American spellings that were actually introduced into Australian English in the 1960s - I still remember that grade six lesson. 'Color' instead of colour' and 'labor instead of labour were the ones. Now the old spellings have snuck back which is kind of stupid because who needs those silly 'Us'?

  Oh, where was I before I rudely interrupted myself? So, I drew Chloe, who was sitting nearby and thought why not include the TV, which was actually in the other direction? Mind you, that TV looks a little like a window, which I suppose it is, metaphorically. Then, rather than try to draw what was flashing by on the screen I transposed a couple of characters from my last train sketches. (That man was loud and was what we once would have called a 'cretin' or 'moron' - I forget the distinction - but I suppose that would not be nice because he was harmless).



No comments:

Post a Comment